It has been a learning experience in serving more than1000 families now and we are glad that the initiative is now reflecting some impact as well. A model has for providing a sound solid waste management service, composting and staff training has emerged in the period of time and Shunya Kuda is ready to expand to a larger population. The impacts may not be immensely visible but it does make a difference.

  • Families convinced for keeping segregated waste in separate bins:

    The biggest impact laid by our team is convincing the families we serve to serve to keep the waste segregated in separate bins with a feel of ease to it. 70% of the families provide waste without any fuss. The rest 30% needs a little motivation or reminders time to time.

    The areas we serve can be easily pointed cleaner and litter free compared to other areas.

  • Making Patna Women’s Polytechnic College a Shunya Kuda Campus:

    The administration of the college managing campus of 200 residents established a compost point in the campus with the help of Shunya Kuda and their resources. The campus not just makes compost of their wet waste in their own campus but keeps the dry and wet waste separately as well.

  • The team has created a simplified model of composting biodegradable waste, demonstrating its labour intense nature which can be easily practiced by anyone.

  • Waste can also be a source of edible protein; we learnt it by observing the poor:

    The idea sounds amazing and it is definitely not the discovery. But the idea grew by observing the poor, how they keep poultry, goatry, etc and feed them the waste and get their protein from their eggs and meat. We created a decentralised model to execute this idea on a small scale and sell the eggs and meat in the market.

  • The following MIS is our impact in last month-

    • We saved 10.5 ton of waste to pile in a dumping yard
    • We converted 4 ton of organic waste in compost
    • 3 tons of dry waste was sold to the recyclers